Below are some articles to help you when you’re getting ready to adopt or have already adopted a dog. Thank you for adopting a pet!
Find a Dog to Adopt: Search here! If you don’t see your perfect pooch right away, type your email address into the New Pet Alerts box, then click the confirmation link in the email you will receive instantly. Then any new pets who match your search criteria will be emailed to you once a day.
- 10 Tips For Welcoming Home Your Newly-Adopted Dog
- Top Tips for Safely Bringing Home a Rescue or Shelter Dog
- Seniors Guide to Selecting and Owning a Dog
- What Size Dog is Best for Me?
- The Top 7 Breeds for the Active Dog Owner
- Living With Giant Breed Dogs
- Top Reasons to Spay or Neuter your Dog or Cat
- Dog Nutrition questions answered!
- Help! My new dog is too… active, noisy, or aggressive
- Pay Attention to What You Want – Not What You Don’t!
- Housetraining Your Dog or Puppy
- Stop singing the Housebreaking Blues
- How to Crate Train your Puppy or Dog
- Introducing Your Dog to the Crate (Video)
- Help, my new dog escaped from her crate
- Stop Your Dog’s Territorial Marking Inside
- How Pads Can Help When Housetraining Your Dog
- Clicker Training 101
- Why Outside-Only Is Not Best For Dogs
- Help your dog stop crying when left alone
- Train Your Dog to Stop Barking at Home
- 10 Tips for Pet’s Fear of Thunderstorms
- 6 Top Tips for Desensitization – a free poster
- Shy dog tip: ignore me please
- Shy dog tip: swapping scary for sit
- Overcoming Your Dog’s Fear of Riding In a Car
- How to trim your dog’s nails
- How to keep a dog off kitchen counters
- Teach your dog not to jump up on people
- My Dogs Don’t Like Strangers Coming Over
- Does Your Dog Use His Mouth Too Much?
- Resource Guarding: What Is It & How A Good Trainer Can Help
Dogs with other dogs and cats
Specific for puppies:
Helpful articles for all pet adopters:
- 10 Things To Consider Before Adopting A Pet
- How to pick a pet if you have allergies
- Pet Chemistry in Matchmaking
- Giving Pets as Gifts
- How to give a pet as a gift
- New Study Shows Babies Exposed to Pets at Home are Healthier!
- Pet Adoption Teaches Good Parenting
- 10 Reasons Pets Are Good For Kids
- Shelter, SPCA, humane society or rescue?
- Why there is a Fee For Adoption
- The Advantages of Adopting Pets In Pairs
- Average Cost of Owning a Cat or Dog
- How to prepare for your pet’s vet costs
- Vet Q&A: Are pets for adoption healthy?
- Renting with pets
- Disabled pets can be amazing!
- How to avoid picking the wrong pet
- Wisdom of the Elderly – Adopt a Senior Pet!
- Caring for a senior pet
- Choosing a Name For Your Adopted Pet